Thursday, October 25, 2007

My Feet are Always Dirty

Other quick updates

I am holding up pretty well. October has been a hard month because homesickness had finally hit me but I am slowly starting to find ways to deal with it. It has been really strong at times, almost like I am possessed with longing for my old life. But that said, other times feel so rewarding and right that they seem to balance out. When I first got here a Volunteer explained the whole experience as a “two-year mind-fuck”. It is true. For example, in the morning I will feel discouraged and be ready to leave, missing the convenience and benefits of living in the U.S. and two years will feel like too long to be away. Then by the afternoon I and completely content and even deeply consider extending or working abroad when I am finished here. It is insane. But, looking back to how apprehensive I was before I came I can definitely say that the experience is much better than I imagined, though it is challenging, and many of my fears were unfounded.

And on the Brightside, Peace Corps is doing wonders for my superiority complex. I can’t wait to slap people with it when I return.

Also, for those that are interested, I will be planning some awesome African vacations for those are interested. I would also be interested in European vacas if you are bankrolling it. Also, come to Togo so you can share my experience with me.

Also, finally lost quitting smoking weight though it came at a heavy price

Later,

Natasha

4 comments:

sara said...

I have nothing to say... because it's all in a letter.

Where are these African adventures you speak of?

Michael Sano said...

natasha! sounds like you are living quite the crazy life over there.

i think you should try this no-neck-voodoo look. it could be hot. you could lean down and just hide your face in your bosom.

miss you,
sano

whampowzing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
whampowzing said...

vacation? where and when are you planning? if you're planning anything european before august, i'm definitely in.

i miss you and am thrilled to hear how well you're doing..
xx val